8.9.11

making plans

   The fall planting season is upon us and I'm running a bit behind. 
   In addition to my experiments at our new house, I'm also working with my Ma to maximize production in her garden.  Over the years we've put in 6 raised beds that consistently produce, plus a double-dug bed by the front door, the landscape island where she grows cucumbers, and a spot on the other side of the front door where she's been growing tomatoes.  With the tremendous help of Stepfather Steve, we've begun work on 5 hexagonal keyhole beds in the backyard as well. 
  While we've attempted to grow our plants in different places in the 6 raised beds over the years, we've never really kept good records about what grew where, what varieties were grown and which ones produced the best.  After taking the Organic Growing Class at Cane Creek Farms through Georgia Organics, I've realized the importance of good record keeping for the micro-farmer (a term I prefer to "gardener").
    That being said, I post a plan for your perusal.  Any ideas or insights would be most appreciated.

There's that.
    I planted some snap peas, kale and broccoli yesterday, but I haven't even ordered our garlic yet.... I'm a bad kid...  here's hoping catastrophic climate collapse extends the season for me.

   As far as our house goes, I'm still working on the plan, brain-hurricaning and daydreaming, but I have my practical side as well (thanks mom) so I've measured our lot and created a drawing to work from:
i think the measurements around the berry bushes in the back may be a lil wonky.

   So now you should have a basic idea of what I'm working with...which is pretty much what I have too.

p.s.  hopefully we'll get a cheap camera this weekend and i'll be able to post pics of projects i've been working on recently. woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts