12.9.11

Geeking out on planning

As you can see from the time stamp, i got a little wrapped up with planning this evening.
   I've worked out my master plan for our house by laying a sheet of tracing paper over my detailed drawing of the lot. Check it out:
 My goal is to have the 3 raised 4'x12' vegetable beds, the keyhole bed and the herb spiral installed this fall for spring planting.  The 3-bin composter should be built in the next week or two. 
  The herb spiral and keyhole bed are my permaculture 101 projects.  If you're interested in learning more about them on your own you can google-wack them, or stay tuned for future posts.
  I'll be taking cuttings from the fig trees in February for fall planting next year.  The worm bin is a spring project and i'm percolating my thoughtscicles to remedy my drainage problems.

I also got cracking on my crop plan for the raised vegetable beds.  The 3 beds subdivide into 6 plots so i can implement the 6 bed rotation i worked out for my ma's house.  I'll be using the Square Foot method in these beds like we do over at mom's.  It's pretty exciting to see how much variety you can grow in a relatively small space.  If all goes well, the front yard should keep us well supplied with fresh food from April to November.  Here's the planting plan for next spring:






























 


Thats packing:
  • 12 cucumbers
  • a plethora of mustard greens
  • 4 squash plants
  • 6 broccoli
  • 48 pole beans
  • 92 bush beans
  • 46 soybean plants
  • 27 leeks
  • 12 celery
  • 96 storage onions
  • 48 sweet onions
  • 108 scallions
  • 24 garlic bulbs
  • 12 tomatoes
  • 12 pepper plants
  • 54 shell peas
  • 54 snap peas
into 72 sq.ft. of space.

Am i biting off more than i can chew?
Better start practicing my mastication technique.

That's all i got. Backyard Beddies to beddy-bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts